You can use it straight away and 30-day period starts when you first connect to the network (can only connect in Japan).
You need to set the APN – to get your data SIM working.
- Manually Set APN
- Android; Go to Settings > Wireless & networks > Cellular networks > Access Point Names > Create new > (enter APN: soracom.io ) ...no username/password
- iPhone (will depend version of iOS): Settings > Mobile > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network > (enter APN: soracom.io ) ...no username/password
- For iOS device you can install an APN profile here: LINK/Download file from link HERE
How to setup your Japanese data SIM for:
a) iPhone 5C, 5S, 6, 6+, 7 and later:
Before using this service with an iPhone/iOS you must first install the APN profile.
- Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Network
- Cellular Data Network > Enter the APN info:
- APN: soracom.io
(no username or password)
How to install the APN profile (iOS)
1. Find a WiFi hotspot & click HERE to download the APN profile
2. In the "Install Profile" screen, tap "Install".
3. Tap the "Done" button on the upper right corner of the screen to complete the installation.
Please delete the APN Profile after you have finished using your Japanese SIM.
1. Navigate to the "Profile" screen on your iPhone: "Setting" → "General" → "Profile"
2. Tap "Remove"
If you are not successful with the connection settings above, most likely your device may not be registering the new settings correctly. Please reset your network settings and enter the above information again.
To reset your network settings:
Tap "Settings" → "General" → "Reset" → "Reset Network Settings"
Once your device has restarted, please enter the above information again.
- Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > APN
- Tap "Menu" button and select "New APN"
- Enter the APN info:
- APN: soracom.io
Username: [leave blank ie empty]
Password: [leave blank]
Authentication Type = "PAP or CHAP"
- Tap "Menu" button and select "Save"
- Select the new APN you created
Japan Prepaid Data SIM Card: FAQs
Please check at GSM arena if your device is W-CDMA / HSDPA / HSUPA 2100MHz or 800MHz
Please also check that your device is on the compatible device list here
How do I know if my phone is unlocked?
dataGO can’t tell, please check this post here for full detail.
The best way is to insert a SIM from a different carrier/network.
Is the Japan Prepaid data SIM card activated?
Yes. The SIM card is pre-activated and ready to use when you receive it.
30-day period starts when you first start using it.
Are there any settings required to get the Japanese data SIM card working?
You need to make sure you have the correct APN setting.
Please refer to setting the APN settings above and there will also be a full instruction guide sent with your SIM.
Will SMS work?
SMS is not supported.
Can I use MMS?
No, MMS is not supported.
Can it be used outside of Japan?
No, it is not possible to use it outside of Japan.